Zucchini is a type of squash that is inexpensive to buy, healthy and actually easy to grow. But what if you don’t think your kiddos will eat it? This recipe will win them over! And if you get them involved in making it they will be fans for sure… guarantee it!
Zucchini is so inexpensive that you can actually buy it organic and it still not break the budget. This recipe is perfect if you are trying to move away from those starchy pasta recipes. 🙂
SAUSAGE PIZZA ZUCCHINI BOATS
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 oz mild Italian sausage (I get the kind without casing.)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, Italian seasoning, or basil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I use Tillamook Farmhouse shredded)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet or 9x13inch baking dish with parchment paper; set aside.
- Cut each zucchini in half horizontally, then carefully scoop out the center of the zucchini. The insides can be composted as they are too watery for this recipe.
- Cook the sausage until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks. Add the garlic in the last minute.
- Add the marinara to the sausage and stir well to combine. Add the oregano (or spice you choose), salt and pepper.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into each carved zucchini. Top with shredded mozzarella. Bake around 12-15 minutes until the zucchini is tender and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
If you watched my video where I make these yummy zucchini boats, then you may remember me mentioning a kitchen cheat sheet. Click on the button below and grab it now. It’s free for the taking and you’ll be added to my mailing list which is… AWESOME!!! Don’t worry I will only email you once a week with great information about what I’m cooking up next and give you access to past recipes. That’s right! Drop the mic!
If you have any questions about this recipe or my blog, please contact me and I’ll get back to you before you know it!